Saturday, July 14, 2012

1.  I want to be a person who is smoke free. 

If you know me well you know that I have struggled with this one for some time.  I have gone years without a problem but one bad decision and I am hiding behind the building puffing away praying that no one walks by and sees me.  

As I look at the list I have made for myself about the person I want to be, it just seemed logical that this is where I would start.  I feel better when I do not smoke.  I sleep better (and less).  I save money (you better believe that I want to be a person who spends money wisely).  There are many positive reasons.  

So why smoke?  Habit.  I know...I know.  Not a good answer.  Honestly, I would tell people that as bad as it is and as much and I hate smelling like it, I enjoyed it.  Glass of wine, cigarette, good food, great conversation. That was a relaxing evening for me. However, I have found that social smoking has only open the door to smoking more often.  Then before I knew it, I was up to a pack or two a week.  

That is not being fully alive or pro-life for that matter.  

I have stopped before with the encouragement and prayers of friends.  Why is this time different?  I HOPE this time is different because it is a stepping stone to a happier life; one full of energy and life.  Up until this moment I have not looked at being a non-smoker as living in the light or fully alive, but if I think about it, hiding is not living in the light.  

I also chose this one first because I have had some problems with my right knee and left heel.  I want to be a person who exercises regularly, but I am strengthening my body right now (good news, it is working) so that I can get back into a regular workout routine.  I will need that lung capacity.  

I am proud to report that today is 4 weeks totally smoke free and I think I am finally ready to introduce something else into my lifestyle change.  

I feel great!  I sleep better.  I am more free in making plans and spending time with people.  I have saved a chunk of cash.  

How did I do it?  I honestly surrounded myself with people who are not smokers.  I played with friend's children and looked to the Lord for strength when I wanted to be weak.  Now all I have to do is take a deep breath in and out and I fill myself full of life and I smile.  

I am a person who is smoke free.  

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Allison.I have never been a smoker, but only because a friend tried to start me on Camels when I was 16. If I'd tried Newports first instead, I'd probably be a smoker today;)Anyway, that's gotta be a tough one to beat. So kudos to you. I admire the fact that you began your blog with that. Like they say, go big or go home, huh?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! Got to start owning loads of things in my life that I do not like and realize that even with these things, I am still loved and worthy of love. Thanks for your love and support. It means the WORLD to me...seriously.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete